Amazing Benefits of Fiber

I was first exposed to supplemental fiber in my youth with Metamucil from my Mother. I suffered from Irritable Bowel Syndrome as did my mother and sisters. It regulated my bowels and I no longer suffered from abdominal pains. But I found an additional benefit when I went for a physical with my physician. It involved a full blood workup and he commented on my excellent cholesterol levels which were better than normal. After reviewing the supplements I listed as taking he confirmed it was because of the fiber from Metamucil. He stated that fiber has been proven to lower cholesterol levels. So as I reached middle age and started having problems with cholesterol I remembered this and decided to incorporate fiber as a treatment for this.

I went around with my doctor who wanted to put me on the statin Lipitor. I was concerned with the potential for liver damage over the long term. After much research I decided to take 20 grams of fiber a day in divided doses along with Niacin (Flush Free). I purchased a blood testing kit to check my cholesterol & triglycerides. I was going to monitor closely so I could be sure it was being controlled. After about a month my results were below the normal level. This was several years ago I'm soon to be 53 years old & my cholesterol is still good. Controlled naturally with fiber, niacin, and healthy eating. I take my fiber supplements in the form of fiber gummies (like the taste).

Fiber has long been promoted as a preventative measure for a healthy digestive system as well as a defense against colon cancer.Diets high in fat and low in fiber are associated with increased colorectal cancer risk. According to the Harvard Men's Health Watch, eating the RDA of fiber can reduce the risk of colon cancer by as much as 40 percent. Another study by Harvard cited that men who ate an average of 28.9 grams of fiber a day had 41 percent fewer heart attacks than men who ate the least amount.

Increase your daily intake of dietary fiber to incorporate into your healthy lifestyle.

Benefits of Fiber:

  • Maintains bowel integrity
  • Controls blood sugar levels
  • Lowers cholesterol levels
  • Normalizes bowel movements
  • Lowers risk of colorectal cancer
  • Aids in weight loss
  • Help reduce blood pressure

Natural fiber sources are nuts and seeds, beans, peas, legumes, fruits, vegetables, grains. As a recommendation include fruits with every meal.